18 July 2010

Calling All Bloggers: Florence and Precious Need You



I'm taking a rare step here: as I've probably ranted on previous occasions, I tend to resist request posts. There are, however, times where an exception is required and this is one of them.

To tie in with the vigil being held tomorrow at 5:30 on Buchanan Street in Glasgow (that Monday. 1730, Buchanan Street, Glasgow) for Florence and Precious Mhango, the mother and child facing deportation on the grounds that being forcibly separated almost as soon as they go back to Malawi doesn't meet Home Office interpretations of the word 'vulnerable', Anne McLaughlin and I are hoping to arrange a 'Blog-In' between 1700 and 1900.

So what does this mean?

Essentially, the aim is for everyone who has taken an interest in the subject to post about it between 1700 and 1900 tomorrow, creating a series of posts across a number of blogs which we hope will occupy the blogosphere's attention.

In practice this means one of two things.

If you have already blogged on the subject, we're asking you for your time again, for another post to help keep up the attention that you've kept bringing to this matter.

If you have been interested in the case but haven't yet posted anything on it (and I'm in this camp), then please, please, please make the move and post your thoughts (and I'll reveal my thoughts - as if you can't guess them - in my post tomorrow).

Of course, we're hoping that as many people as possible make their way to the Vigil at Buchanan Street tomorrow. But if you can't, then we'd like as many bloggers as possible to join in the Blog-In. And if you're in the Glasgow area, then of course, you can always have your cake and eat it, by drafting a post set for publication at 5pm and heading to the Vigil.

If you'd like to take part, then please let me know, so I have an idea of the numbers involved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brilliant post, Will.

I'm hoping to take the belt and braces approach by setting up another blogpost and then tweeting from the vigil.